KU Catering: Additional Services, Pricing and Policies
Order Due Dates
KU Catering is the exclusive caterer on the KU campus and will work with you to make your event a success. All orders must be placed by noon on the Friday one week prior to the event. Any requests made after noon on the Friday one week prior to the event will be assessed a 20% late fee and limited dining options may apply. For all events occurring outside of the Kansas Union and DeBruce Center, you are responsible for ordering and coordinating the setup of tables and chairs. Depending on the type of reservation made, there may also be an additional charge when a meeting and a meal are held in the same room. To allow ample time for the planning and preparation of your event, KU Catering recommends that final meal selections be made two weeks prior to the event. For reasons of public safety and institutional liability, external vendors and donated goods are not permitted without an approved Food Policy Exception Form.
Number of Guests
To insure appropriate service preparation, KU Catering requires the final number of guests attending by 12:00 p.m. three business days prior to your event. You will be charged for this number of guests unless the guaranteed number of guests exceeds your initial confirmation, at which point you will be charged for the actual number served. Increases in the number of guests within 48 hours of the event will be subject to an additional 50% of meal price per added person. KU Catering will prepare for a 5% overage up to a maximum of 25 places. If KU Catering does not receive your final confirmed attendance number, the last estimate on record will be used. If the Monday prior to the event is an observed holiday, guarantees for Thursday events will be due by 12:00 p.m. on the Friday prior.
|Event Day||Guarantee Due By|
|Saturday, Sunday or Monday||Noon Wednesday|
Styles of Service
KU Catering offers a range of services from a one-frill delivery to your office to formal dining.
Just One Frill
- For the times when all you need is the food, this menu offers soups, salads, hot entreés and any extras you might want. All prices are à la carte so you can customize your order to fit the event. No attendants will remain with the meal and we won´t be back to pick-up or clean-up. The only frill is the great food! More information is available here.
- Casual service orders are delivered right to your meeting room and are served with disposable ware and tablecloths. KU Catering will return after your event to pick up any leftover food and catering supplies. An attendant can be provided upon request. Service of hot foods may require an attendant at a charge of $20.00/hour, minimum of three hours.
- Formal service orders are served with china, glassware, linen and table skirting. Fully customized receptions with special menus, floral arrangements and table displays can be arranged with the catering coordinator.
- For served meals and buffets, KU Catering offers three levels of service:
- This service includes a linen tablecloth on each table and linen napkins. With advance notice, special linen colors are available (additional charges may apply). Events with more than 120 guests will be served with beverage carafes on the tables. Floral arrangements may be available for use during the event (check with catering coordinator for prices).
- This service includes a linen tablecloth with a second overlay cloth and linen napkins. A floral display on the buffet or entry table is also included. With advance notice, special linen colors are available (additional charges may apply). This service costs an additional $2.50 per person.
- Custom service involves original approaches to your special event. KU Catering is happy to work with you to provide unique touches, and the Union's executive chef is available to create a complete dining experience.
- An off-site event is defined as any event not held in the Kansas Union. Off-site meals have a minimum charge of $200, not including tax.
- Catered meals served with china: Add $4.75 per guest
- Catered meals served with disposable products: Add $2.75 per guest
- Formal service orders: Add $2.00 per guest ($50.00 minimum)
- Events held at the Adams Alumni Center are charged a 10% Alumni Center Fee in addition to the off-site fees.
- A $20.00 delivery fee is added to all campus casual service orders, which includes one pickup. If our staff is asked to return for an additional pickup, the fee will be $5.00. Deliveries made off campus will be charged $1.50 per mile for both delivery and pickup with a minimum charge of $75.00.
- In the event you must cancel your catered event, please notify us as soon as possible. We require at least 72 hours’ notice or you will be charged for the expenses incurred on your behalf. On days with extreme weather conditions that may result in campus closures, the KU Catering office will contact you with a deadline cancellation time. Orders cancelled within the designated time frame will incur no charges. All other cancellations may be charged at full price.
- Events requiring unusually early or late hours for employees (typically at or before 7am or after 8pm) may be subject to additional labor fees.
- Meals and receptions requiring more than 90 minutes to serve will be subject to an additional charge of $20.00 per attendant per hour. Tablecloths for non-food events are available for $3.50 each. A 10% catering service fee is added to all catering events. Any events that incur additional labor fees will be charged an hourly fee of $20.00 per employee per hour. Fees may be charged for any event with greater than usual service or equipment requirements.
To protect your health and prevent food-illnesses from occurring, the catering staff will remove all perishable foods from the event. Any nonperishable items (i.e. baked goods) may be taken at your own will. KU Catering does not provide to-go containers, platters, baskets, or bags.
We will be pleased to accommodate guests with restricted dietary requirements provided that we have at least three days’ notice prior to event. A $5.00 charge will be added to each of these meals.
Please be aware that during normal kitchen operations involving shared cooking and preparation areas, including common fryer oil, the possibility exists for food items to come in contact with other food products. Due to these circumstances, we are unable to guarantee that any menu entrée can be completely free of allergens. Please contact our catering coordinator to discuss options for those guests with dietary restrictions.
Wine & Bar Service
Alcoholic beverage service is available only at events related to authorized University functions held at designated sites on campus. The Chancellor’s Office must approve the serving of alcoholic beverages at such events. Requests must be made in writing and submitted to the Provost’s Office no fewer than three weeks before the event using a form supplied by our Catering Coordinator. Due to State and local regulations, we cannot accept requests for bar service fewer than three weeks before the event date.
KU Catering is the sole dispenser of alcohol service for campus events
- Cash bars are not permitted at University functions. In accordance with University policy, any bar service must also offer food and non-alcoholic beverages.
- KU Catering has the obligation to refuse alcoholic beverage service to any individual under the age of 21 or who appears to be intoxicated. Staff members in charge shall have this authority.
- Bartender fee is $70 per bartender for a 90 minute service time. One bartender will be provided for every 75 guests. Bartenders at events where food service is not provided by KU Catering will be charged at $100.
Beer Selections (choice of three)
- Bud Light – $3.00/bottle
- New Belgium Fat Tire, Boulevard Wheat, Boulevard Pale Ale, Free State Golden Wheat, Free State Copperhead, Free State Ad Astra, Blue Moon – $3.50/bottle
- Wine served tableside with meal add $.75 per person
- $8.75 per bottle (choose one white and one red)
- White Wine: Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio
- Red Wine: Cabernet or Pinot Noir
Dream Series Wines
- $13.25 per bottle (choose one white and one red)
- White Wine: Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- Red Wine: Cabernet or Pinot Noir
Varietals (750 ml bottles)
- Bogel Chardonnay $22.50
- Acrobat Pinot Grigio $18.50
- Beaulieu Vineyards Cabernet $20.50
- Columbia Crest Merlot $20.50
- Benziger Chardonnay $31.00
- Smoking Loon Pinot Noir $20.50
- Black Opal Cabernet $22.50
- Rosemount Shiraz $18.50
Full Bar Option
- Includes appropriate mixers
- $100.00 minimum
- $6.00 per 1.5 oz pour
- Stolichnaya Vodka
- Beefeater Gin
- Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- Dewar’s Scotch
- Crown Royal Whiskey
- Bacardi Rum
Prices do not include state and local taxes or 10% service charge
KU Catering is happy to serve a specialty cocktail of your choosing or can create one for your event. Specialty cocktails must be pre-ordered by the half-dozen and will be priced based on ingredients.
KU Catering is happy to assist you in the planning of this special day. You are welcome to use the bakery of your choice to provide the cake; KU Catering must supply all other food and beverages. A table for your wedding cake with plates, forks, cocktail napkins and serving utensils is provided and the charge is $1.75 per person. An attendant to cut and serve the cake can be provided for an additional charge of $60.00. The policies of KU prohibit the serving of alcohol at weddings and other private functions. A deposit of 50% of the total estimated costs is due 6 weeks prior to the event. The remaining balance is due one week before the event.