Search the KU Memorial Unions Site


How do I use my KU Cuisine Dining Plan?
Your KU Card is required for each transaction. All you need to do is present your KU Card for access/meal swipe in the Residential Dining Centers or have your card scanned at any of the Campus Retail Cafes to use your KU Cuisine Cash or Beak ´Em Bucks.
Where can I use my Dining Plan options?
We offer maximum flexibility at our 22 campus locations − including residence hall (all you-care to eat) dining centers, Cuisine to Go (sack meals), retail cafés in the KU Memorial Unions and Pharmacy building located on West Campus, as well as convenient Jay Breaks (snack bars). Here is how the different components of the dining plans are used:
  • ¨Dining Center Access/Meals¨Includes access to Ekdahl Dining Center (Mrs. E´s), Oliver Dining Center, and North College Cafe Dining Center for meals or snacks. Also can be used for Cuisine To Go at The Studio Café (Hashinger Hall), O´zone (Oliver Hall) or North College Cafe Dining Center.
  • ¨Bring A Friend¨ Meals:Assigned to the KU Card and can be used at the all-you-care-to-eat Dining Centers to host friends or family. Bring A Friend meals do not deduct from the total Dining Center Meals. Inform the cashier that you wish to use a Bring A Friend meal before your KU Card is run through at the register.
  • ¨KU Cuisine Cash¨: Use at all 22 locations on campus and for Domino´s and Glory Days Pizza delivery. To view the campus locations click here.
What does ¨Unlimited Access¨ mean on the Jayhawk Unlimited $500 Plus and Rock Chalk Unlimited $300 Plans?
Unlimited access means you may enter the dining center (Mrs. E´s, North College Cafe or Oliver Dining) as many times as you like during normal hours of operation. There is no cap on the number of times you may enter each day, provided you have one of the following active KU Cuisine Dining Plans: Jayhawk Unlimited $500 Plus Plan or Rock Chalk Unlimited $300 Plan. It is ideal for students who eat several smaller meals per day or for students who utilize the dining centers for studying and have access to snacks.
How do the weekly plans (Blue Basic and Campanile Apartment) work?
The Blue Basic, and Campanile Apartment plans all have meals that reset every Monday morning.Meals do not roll over.
How does the 'free Za pizza bonus' work for the Jayhawk Unlimited $500 Plus and Rock Chalk Unlimited $300 Plans?
Free Za Pizza is available at The Studio, 2nd floor of Hashinger Hall, and Ozone, 1st floor of Oliver Hall. Free Za Pizzas are activated the Tuesday following the deadline for meal plan changes. Fall semester is September 8, 2015 and spring semester is February 2, 2016. One free large one-topping pizza allowed per day.
What is the difference between KU Cuisine Cash and Beak ´Em Bucks?
KU Cuisine Cash is part of the dining plan and cannot be recharged. Beak ¨Em Bucks is a declining balance account that is automatically set up for you when the KU Card is issued and can be recharged. If there are both accounts on a KU Card, the system is programmed to use KU Cuisine Cash first and then Beak ´Em Bucks.
What is ¨Cuisine to Go¨?
A quick ¨to go¨ meal exchange on your KU Cuisine dining plan (dining center access/meals) that allows you the flexibility and convenience to select from varied menu options of foods and beverages to take with you on those busy days when you cannot get back to your favorite dining center. You can select ¨Cuisine to Go¨ service up to two meals per day during the service hours posted in each location (Studio Café, Oliver Dining and North College Café). ¨Cuisine To Go¨ service hours are available on this page of our website under the Residential Dining hours.
What factors should I consider when choosing a Dining Plan?
  • Do you typically eat three meals daily (with snacks)?
  • Will you be away from campus most weekends?
  • Will you have a job that provides meals?
  • Will you be involved in extracurricular activities (sorority/fraternity, sports, or band)?
  • Do you plan to study on campus or in the residential dining centers?
Your responses determine the quantity of meals you would require through the year/semester. If you typically eat three meals a day and plan to study on campus, then the Jayhawk Unlimited $500 Plus Plan is your best value. If you plan to join a sorority/fraternity that also provides meals, you may want to select a plan that offers fewer meals.
How are dining plan prices figured?
There is a great deal that goes into providing student meals in three all-you-care-to eat dining centers on campus.We ask that you take into consideration the ¨big picture¨ of the overall meal plan cost. To ensure that we are providing our guests with the most value, we:
  • Research the latest consumer price index for food for the coming year
  • Calculate our fiscal expenses
  • Determine the total number of operating days for the academic year in order to establish the prices for each meal plan option offered
Where does the money I spend with KU Dining go?
KU Dining is a not-for-profit 5013c organization and receives no funding from the State of Kansas. All revenues go directly back into dining programs and facilities. Here is the breakdown for those allotments:
  • Food (all food and paper supplies):39%
  • Human Resources (salaries, wages and benefits, including employee meals):37%
  • General Expenses (utilities, uniforms, laundry, cleaning chemicals, telephone, office supplies, etc.):18%
  • Reserves (facility and equipment repairs/renewals): 6%
What if I´m not living on campus?
That’s okay. KU Cuisine Dining Plans are available to any KU student. All you need is an active KU Card. To sign up, log into myKU portal then sign into Student Housing under “Services” or “Campus Life”, then choose the Dining Plans from “WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO?”
Where can I get more information on KU Cuisine Dining Plans?
Look under the Dining link at the top of this site and view the drop down choices. If you need further clarification, please call KU Dining at 785-864-7274. For specific financial questions, please call the Student Housing at 785-864-4560.
How long does it take after I fill out the application until I can use the KU Cuisine Dining Plan?
If you do not live in University housing, you may sign up for a KU Cuisine Dining Plan through Student Housing or select the KU Cuisine Dining Plans link for a printable dining meal plan form. It will be in the system 2-3 business days after you submit the application.
How can I change my KU Cuisine Dining Plan?
You may change your plan according to semester deadlines. Please visit the Student Housing, located in the basement of Corbin Hall or log into the myKU portal and sign into Student Housing under “Services” or “Campus Life.” Choose “Dining Plan” under “What do you want to do?” Fall semester deadline is September 4, 2015, 5:00 p.m. Spring semester deadline is January 29, 2016, 5:00 p.m.
How can I view my dining plan usage and balances?
You now have the ability to view your KU Card balances and transaction history, add funds to your Beak ‘Em Bucks account, set account notifications, and report your card lost or stolen via smart phones. Go to: The balance can also be given at the cashier’s station when the plan is used.
What happens to the Dining Center meals, Bring a Friend meals and free Za pizzas at the end of the Fall semester?
The Dining Center meals, Bring a Friend meals and Free Za Pizzas that remain at the end of the semester are forfeited.
What happens to the KU Cuisine Cash at the end of the fall semester?
The KU Cuisine Cash balance that remains at the end of Fall semester will roll over to spring semester with an active spring semester KU Cuisine Dining Plan. The other half of the KU Cuisine Cash will be added to the account at the beginning of Spring semester.
What happens to the KU Cuisine Dining Plan at the end of the academic year?
All Dining Center Meals, KU Cuisine Cash, Bring a Friend meals and free Za pizzas are forfeited at the end of the academic year.
What if my KU Cuisine Cash balance becomes low?
You may add money to your KU Card in your Beak ‘Em Bucks account. Beak ‘Em Bucks is a declining balance account that is automatically set up for you when the KU Card is issued. In order to use Beak ‘Em Bucks, you need to add to the account. There are several options available: (1) on-line via (2) selecting it through Optional Campus Fees at, or (3) at a campus cash-to-card machine. Beak ‘Em Bucks can be used for food purchases, printing, photocopying, and laundry. For additional information, please contact the KU Card Center at (785) 864-5845 or
What if my meals run out before the end of the semester?
Blocks of 10 meals can be purchased at any time during each semester if you have one of the following active KU Cuisine Dining Plans: Crimson Flex $200, Basic Blue $100 or Campanile Apartment plans. You may email the Student Housing using the subject line “Block of 10 Meals”. Please include your name, student online ID and specify what you want (example: 10 meals for $82 or 30 meals for $246). Your university account will then be billed for the meals. Meal block purchases are non-refundable, and all remaining meals will be forfeited at the end of the semester in which the block was purchased.
What if I want to bring my family or friends to eat with me at the Residential Dining Centers (Mrs. E´s, North College Cafe and Oliver)?
You may use a Bring A Friend meal, KU Cuisine Cash or pay the guest meal price. KU Cuisine Cash is not charged tax at the Residential Dining Centers (Mrs. E’s, North College Café and Oliver Dining Center).
Am I able to use my dining center meals to feed my friends?
The University policy is that the KU Card is non-transferable; KU Cards cannot be loaned to another student. This includes the students’ dining plan. The Bring a Friend meal are included in the dining plan to provide opportunity to host a guest.
What if I have a food allergy, intolerance, or require a special diet for medical or religious reasons?
We ask that the student contact Christine Ebert RD, LD at 785-864-2424. Due to allergies, doctor’s orders, or religious reasons, a student may request a special diet and will require meeting with the dining manager to make appropriate accommodations. Special diets will be provided on an individual basis. We encourage students to contact the KU Disability Resources and register if allergies or intolerance is severe at 785-864-4064 Fax: 785-864-2817.
What happens if I have lost my KU Card?
If your KU Card has been lost or stolen, it must be deactivated immediately online at, or by calling the Card Center at 785-864-5845 (during business hours). You may also go to the Card Center (M-F, 8:00am-4:00pm), located on the fourth floor of the Kansas Union, to deactivate your card. Please note that KU Dining Services is not liable for financial loss or criminal repercussions associated with lost, stolen, damaged or fraudulently used KU Cards.
What if I don't have my KU Card yet or the card is inactive because I'm not enrolled at the beginning of the semester?
Occasionally, students will move into the residence halls earlier than when they have had the opportunity to get their KU Card or get enrolled in classes. The meal plan contract begins on “move-in day”, so this is a temporary solution to allow students to eat in the Dining Centers locations. Cashiers at any of the Dining Center locations (Ekdahl “Mrs. E’s” Dining Commons, Oliver Dining, and North College Cafe Dining) will issue a temporary card after verifying the student has a KU Cuisine Meal Plan. The student will sign a Temporary Card Form to document which card the student has been assigned. We encourage students to resolve their card issues as quickly as possible. Important information:
  • This card has been issued for the student’s convenience and is the student’s responsibility. Since there is no photo, please keep it in a secure location. If the card is lost or stolen, you must report it to the Dining Access Coordinator at 864-7274.
  • The student will need to return the temporary card to a dining center cashier when the KU Card is activated or obtained.
  • The temporary card will be deactivated the first of the month (September in the fall and February in the spring.)
  • This card will substitute for the KU Card (dining center meals component only) until the KU Card is activated or obtained.
  • The student must have the temporary card to enter a residential dining center and may be used for dining center meals at the Mrs. E’s and the Oliver and North College Cafe Dining Centers, or at The Studio at Hashinger Hall or O’zone at Oliver Hall for meal equivalency.
  • The number of meals used on this card will be deducted from their KU Cuisine Meal Plan.
  • This card carries the same rules and policies as the KU Card regarding meal plan use. Meals are non-transferable; you may not host guests with this card.
  • The temporary card will not provide security access nor serve as your KU Card for any other campus activity.
What if I don´t have my KU Card at the Dining Centers during the year?
You will be asked to go get your card. If that is not possible, the cashier will give a Meal Pass. Meal Pass Policy Each meal pass will be written for two business days. This will allow you time to purchase a replacement KU Card. There will be a $5.00 charge for each meal pass. To replace your KU Card, go to the KU Card Center, Kansas Union, Level 4, from 9:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday. Once you have purchased the replacement KU Card, the old one is invalidated by the KU Card Center and may no longer be used. There is a $15.00 replacement fee for the new card. Important information:
  • Since the KU Card Center is open Monday through Friday, meal passes issued over the weekend will be written for extra days allowing the patron the two business days stated in the policy in which to obtain their replacement card.
  • Possession of a meal pass does not guarantee the holder meals. Availability of meals is based on the holder’s current account balance.
  • Just like the lost KU Card they replace, a meal pass must be presented to the Cashier in order to obtain meals. If a meal pass is not presented or is lost, then patron will be issued the next sequential meal pass.
  • If you do not have your KU Card at the retail locations, you will need to use another form of payment.
Who do I contact if I have concerns or questions about KU Dining Services?
  • For Residential Dining Centers (Mrs. E’s, Oliver, North College Cafe, The Studio Café, and O’zone): Sheryl Kidwell, Assistant Director, at
  • For KU Memorial Union Retail Dining Café (The Underground, The Market, Crimson Cafe or Jay Break):Alecia Stultz, Assistant Director,
  • For Catering:Whitney Fox, Catering Coordinator,
  • For Impromptu Café: Kim Nixon, Impromptu Manager,
What if, as a parent, I have questions regarding my student's dining account?
In accordance with KU Student Records Policy, the Federal Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that students provide written authorization to the Bursar’s Office before we can release financial information to anyone. We understand that many parents, spouses, or other individuals pay or need to discuss charges on a student’s account. To assists students who want the Bursar’s Office to communicate with other individuals, the student must complete and deliver the Financial Information Release form to the Bursar’s Office. This form is available through this website on the main page by selecting FORMS. The form is also available at the Bursar’s Office reception desk in Carruth O’Leary, Room 20.For general questions regarding KU Cuisine Dining Plan accounts, contact Karen Cross, Dining Access Coordinator,
Does KU Dining Services offer a healthy selections program?
KU Dining services offers a variety of options. Vegetarian options as well as fresh fruits and vegetables are offered in all locations. Many items are labeled as “Better Bites” (BB). The Better Bites concept is a part of the campus nutrition and wellness campaign to provide students, faculty and staff with healthier meal options at convenient locations. It is based upon the American Heart Association guidelines.
Who do I contact if my card isn´t working?
The general answer would be the KU Card Center located on the 4th floor of the Kansas Union. But, it depends on why it’s not working. If the card is damaged (scratched or broken) the card holder will need to go to the KU Card Center (864-5845) located on the 4th floor of the Kansas Union to get a new card. There is a $15 charge to replace the card. The card may not “work” if the KU Cuisine Dining Plan has not been credited to the account. Remember, there is a 2-3 business day processing time after the application is submitted until the KU Cuisine is activated. Or the card may not “work” if you have not enrolled for the semester.
Where can I find nutritional information of the foods served at campus dining locations?
NetNutrition is our online nutrition analysis program. This service provides a convenient method to calculate the approximated nutritional values of your food selections from our various campus dining locations. These Daily Value percentages are based upon a setting that averages the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs) for males and females between the ages of 19-24. NetNutrition is best viewed in Internet Explorer. It is located here.
What does KU Dining do in regards to sustainability?
KU Dining Services is proud to say it is an active campus partner in the sustainability effort. From our conservation and recycling partnership with KU Recycling Programs to our Biodiesel Initiative to staff and consumer education and our efforts to buy local we show our dedication to sustainability. Check out our special sustainability page to see all that we are currently doing – and plan to do in the near future – in this increasingly important area.
What happens if classes are canceled due to weather
The residential dining centers (Mrs. E’s, North College Cafe and Oliver Dining) will serve regular operating hours even when classes are canceled due to weather. Retail locations will typically be closed.
What happens if I'm sick and am unable to go to the dining halls?
The dining centers will provide “feel better” meals for students who have dining plans. Please follow this link for more detail
What does KU Dining do to promote wellness?
KU Dining Services takes a multifaceted approach to collegiate wellness and nutrition education, with one central idea in mind: allow the customer to make the most informed decision. All Residential and Retail dining facilities display nutrition education materials through monthly table tents, creative display cases, registered/licensed dietitian counseling/information sessions and featured events such as Wellness Fairs and American Dietetic Association’s National Nutrition Month in March.

Media Releases
news from the U...
For more information about the KU Memorial Unions or any of its services, including KU Dining and KU Bookstore, please contact JJ O'Toole-Curran,; 785-864-2436. Click to read more.
Translate »