Welcome back - we've missed you!
We are looking forward to welcoming back our Jayhawk community at the Kansas Union and Burge Union on August 3 and DeBruce Center on August 10.
Our commitment to our community
At the KU Memorial Union, we are committed to providing services that foster a sense of community while supporting each other in good times and in bad. As we reopen our doors, we have made every effort to Protect KU and support our students, guests, and community with increased safety measures and operational changes. And, we’ll continue to do all we can to help navigate these uncertain times. during this unprecedented time.
I pledge to protect KU
We ask that as a member of the KU community when you enter our buildings that you take the pledge to Protect KU.
I have a responsibility to myself and others, especially those who may be at greater risk. Before using one of our Union spaces, I will:
Wear a mask
Practice Physical Distancing
Wash and sanitize often
Conduct daily personal health screenings
Learn more at Protect KU. These actions are some of the most critical things we can do to curb the spread of COVID-19. Together, we resolve to protect ourselves, the community, and the greater good.
Kansas Union, Burge Union, and DeBruce Center
- Please click here for comprehensive building hours for the Kansas Union, Burge Union, and DeBruce Center.
Building Safety Protocols
To reduce the inherent risks presented by the virus and the impact of COVID-19 outbreak conditions, all members of the University of Kansas community must follow the health and safety protocols listed below. When present on campus all faculty, staff, students, affiliates, visitors, vendors, and volunteers must:
- All of our buildings throughout campus require you to verify health status through daily CVKey app screenings prior to building entry.
- After you complete a health assessment, the app generates a CVPass to allow you to enter campus buildings. The app does not store or share your personal health data. CVKey helps communities reopen responsibly during the COVID-19 pandemic without compromising privacy.
- Visit cvkey.ku.edu to download the app for iOS or android. Questions about CVKey? Please call 785-864-4651 so we may better assist you with any questions that you may have.
- Wear a face covering over one’s mouth and nose when in common areas of a building and when within six (6) feet of another individual(s) anywhere on campus.
- Limit the size of gathering in accordance with University protocols and applicable federal, state, county, or local government regulations or orders.
- Follow the health and safety procedures published by the University and listed in building/ laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
The success of this policy relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration, and cooperation of each individual. All members of the University community share the responsibility of adhering to and enforcing this policy and have the responsibility for bringing it to the attention of visitors. Individuals are encouraged and empowered to respectfully inform others about this policy in an ongoing effort to minimize risks and encourage a culture of respectful cooperation.
All faculty, staff, students, affiliates, visitors, vendors, and volunteers are expected to cooperate and adhere to this policy. Violations of this policy by faculty, staff, affiliates, vendors, and visitors should be reported to Human Resource Management. Violations of this policy by students should be reported to Student Affairs.
Guest Signage & Communications
- Increased signage, including floor markers will be prevalent at building entrances to denote safety protocols and precautions:
- Social distancing meeting room occupancies will be posted at each room entry.
- Proper hand-washing techniques will be posted at each hand-washing location.
- The KU Memorial Union will continue to communicate with students, faculty, staff, and guests to reflect the most updated information, including building closures, new safety protocols, and the latest recommendations from the CDC, local and state regulations.
- Communication channels include union.ku.edu, social media channels (@kuunion), and digital and printed signage throughout Union buildings.
- KU Dining will be following the KU Memorial Union's enhanced safety, cleaning, and signage protocols and can't wait to reopen all of our spaces to serve you again.
- Click here to view all COVID-19 updates, safety protocols, and comprehensive operating hours relevant to KU Dining.
- Click here to view all updates relevant to KU Catering.
- All meeting rooms have been set up to maintain social distancing of 6 feet. View Social Distancing setup counts here.
- Meeting room booking confirmations include the University of Kansas Public Health Safety Requirements as well as the following messaging on reservation confirmations at the time of booking.
- Your event space will be cleaned and disinfected prior to your arrival according to CDC guidelines. The door will be unlocked 30 minutes in advance of your event start time for set-up.
- Catering - All catering must be provided by KU Catering (email@example.com) and will be served or distributed per current health and safety regulations.
- For registered student organizations who reserve space by semester - please contact the Event Services team if you would like to book space for Fall 2020.
- If you have any questions, the Event Services staff is available by appointment, Monday - Friday, for event planning at the Kansas Union, Burge Union or DeBruce Center.
- Click here to view all COVID-19 updates, safety protocols, and comprehensive operating hours relevant to Event Services.
- KU Bookstore will be following the KU Memorial Union's enhanced safety, cleaning, and signage protocols and are looking forward to seeing our customers again soon!
- Textbooks: Due to social distancing guidelines, all textbooks and required course materials must be ordered online this year. KU Bookstore is providing free shipping August 7-August 19.
- For more information on textbooks, visit our Textbook page.
- Masks: We have a number of Jayhawk masks in our stores and on our website for purchase so you can show off your Jayhawk spirit and stay healthy.
- Other COVID-19 Updates: Click here to view KU Bookstore's comprehensive COVID-19 updates.
Enhanced Cleaning & Safety Measures
- Enhanced Cleaning Measures
- Credit card devices wiped down frequently
- Hourly restroom checks and sanitization.
- Reduced hours to allow for thorough cleaning.
- Our crews have expanded our sanitation practices and frequency in public areas that are touched frequently and in our meeting spaces between events.
- Contactless Transactions
- We have added new contactless payment options at most registers throughout our operations.
- Safety Measures
- All KU Memorial Union employees have been provided masks to wear.
- Sneeze guards have been installed at registers.
- In Dining facilities, staff will have face covering and gloves on at all times. Dining staff has been trained on enhanced safety standards and new COVID-19 protocols including symptom monitoring, CDC, and ServSafe guidelines for handwashing and food safety.
- Staff will be screened daily for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available throughout buildings, adjacent to large event spaces at all Union buildings and dining locations.
- Floor markers for waiting lines identifying appropriate social distancing.
- Increased outdoor seating.
- HVAC filter changes and system flush 24 hours prior to re-opening facilities.
- We will continue to monitor recommendations from the CDC for preventing the spread including accountability protocols for staff.
We have taken enhanced health and safety measures -- for our Jayhawk community, employees, students, and visitors. You must follow all posted instructions while in our facilities.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. By visiting the Unions, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. Let's keep each other healthy.
This webpage is updated regularly with information pertinent to operations for the KU Memorial Union. This is a rapidly evolving situation and we will offer additional guidance to the university community as soon as it is available.
Please note, all plans are subject to change based on the latest medical guidance and evolving circumstances.