KU’s football stadium was the University’s first major war memorial. The Stadium was built in the years following the First World War to commemorate the 129 students and alumni who died making “the world safe for democracy.” KU Memorial Stadium was dedicated on Armistice Day, November 11, 1922.
“Within the light on Oread’s hill
Above the valley’s golden beauty,
Our comrades’ spirit hovers still
The mem’ry of their faith in duty
They died that we might have the peace
For which mankind has ever striven.
Their call to us will never cease:
‘Give ye always as we have given.’”